domenica 5 aprile 2009

evaluating sources

good evening... my computer has blown up... I'm so sorry! :-( so now I have to use one of my friends' computer! thanks a lot!
well, this week we discussed of how to evaluate the sources we find surfing the web. it's not an easy task to do!
during the lesson we formed groups and tried to list down what really matters when we're dealing with the different pieces of information we find on the web. putting together all the ideas, we ended up with a quite satisfying list of criteria useful to find out if a source is really reliable.
the reliability of a source depends on the author who wrote it, on the web site in which it is published and on the fact that there are someone responsible for the site in which the information is found, for example. these are just some examples among the entries in the list we wrote down.
after discussing these criteria, the professor told us how to use effectively different search tools on the Internet. we have been invited to use google books, google scholar and google blogs to make more specific search than using only google (even using advanced search). these search engines are focused on finding specific kinds of URLs. I think I'll exploit these tools when the time to write my thesis will come...
extra information: I love scribd! :-)

2 commenti:

  1. I think it's very useful for us to have a critical approach towards the sources we find surfing the web...but it's not an easy task to evaluate them. I agree with what you wrote Mario... Anyway I think the things we're learning now, will be useful when we write our thesis...I hope as soon as possible!! Serena

    RispondiElimina
  2. Hello Mario! I'm so happy to declare that I finally changed my blog! Now it is completely new...eve though it is absolutely like the old one!!
    I agree with you about what you said in your post; I wasn't at lesson and I didn't understand what the teacher meant for 'analysis of a text' and I think that it is difficult to focus attention on the information within the text, especially in an on-line text. I do not use to search for the author or the sources, I am just intertested in the information! I know it is a bad attitude and I will try to change it!!
    Let me make a short comment (apart from the previous things...;) it's very difficult to make comments...they seems so useful and banal...
    Anyway, I don't like to act like a 'little teacher'...but Sarah told us we should provide suggestions one to the other...I must tell you that even professor Taylor insists on the fact that the verb 'discuss' already includes the prepositions 'about' and 'of' ....I hope I'm saying something right!!
    Bye bye!!

    RispondiElimina